The Convention & Visitors Bureau of Marion County Inc. is a nonprofit marketing and sales organization whose sole purpose is to take the leadership role in developing the area's tourism industry and advancing Marion County as a vacation, group tour and meeting destination. We invite you to visit us in Fairmont, located in North Central West Virginia along I-79.
Stop By the Convention & Visitors Bureau and our friendly staff will help you make the most of your trip to Fairmont, Marion County and all of the Mountain State.
In recent years, Main Street Fairmont (MSF) has capitalized on its successes with the establishment of a façade and sign grant program which has transformed the city's architectural landscape. MSF also has partnered with other local organizations to strengthen support for complementary programs. Recently, the organization cosponsored the Fairmont Southside Blueprint Community Panel with the Fairmont Community Development Partnership in an effort to revitalize Southside Fairmont, a gateway community to downtown.
The Central United Methodist Church ( aka the Father's Day Church) mission is, "to serve God through Jesus in the Church and Community by expressing our faith through our prayers, presence, gifts, and service."
The purpose of the Greater Fairmont Council of Churches is to help the faith communities of the Fairmont, West Virginia area to know one another better through ecumenical dialogue, shared common worship experience, examination of issues important to the life of the community and recreational activities.
The West Virginia State Legislature has considered historic preservation important enough to authorize any municipality by ordinance and any county by order of the county commission to establish a municipal historic landmarks commission or county historic landmarks commission.
The historic landmarks commission is authorized but not required to carry out a variety of duties, including conducting surveys of historic buildings, preparing a local register of historic buildings, review applications for certificates of appropriateness, mark historic buildings with appropriate signage, establish standards for the care and management of historic structures, acquire property and easements, lease and sell property, assist the municipality or county in enacting appropriate preservation legislation, prepare and place historical markers, seek advice and assistance of preservation experts, seek and accept appropriate gifts, adopt rules and regulations concerning the conduct of commission business, and adopt other rules as necessary to conduct business.
A local historic landmarks commission is not the same as the local historical society. The historic landmarks commission is established as formal legal component of the local government. It can serve as the organization that unites all the various history constituencies in a particular area. It can perform a valuable educational function. It can also serve as an important component of a downtown or community revitalization/economic development effort as well as providing valuable input into a heritage tourism effort. The establishment of a historic landmarks commission by a municipality or county shows a concrete commitment to historic preservation by the municipality or county.
Since the program began, there have been at least seventy (70) historic landmarks commissions established in the state. Many of those have not been active in recent years and have failed to fulfill even the minimum requirements for active status as established by the West Virginia State Legislature.
Thirty Nine (39) of the existing historic landmarks commissions have taken an additional step and fulfilled the necessary conditions to be recognized as Certified Local Governments by the West Virginia State Historic Preservation Office. These historic landmarks commissions are able to apply to our office for grants to carry out preservation related activities that do not involve work on historic buildings. Projects can include but are not limited to historic resources surveys, preparation of national register nominations, preparation of neighborhood or community preservation plans or design guidelines, historic structures reports and building feasibility studies, preservation education, and assorted other activities. Historic landmarks commissions are the local preservation entities that deserve community support and can focus community efforts on achievable goals.
For further information, contact the office of the CLG coordinator, West Virginia State Historic Preservation Office, The Culture Center, 1900 Kanawha Blvd. East, Charleston, WV 25305. (304) 558-0220 (ext. 155)
To contact the City of Fairmont Historic Landmarks Commission, call JoAnn Lough, Chair at (304) 363-9341.
Established in 1875, Woodlawn Cemetery has grown with Fairmont. Many of our citizens are buried here. A wide variety of architectural forms can be found within these bounds. Marble, granite and sandstone have all been used in the many markers here, some in sculpture and some in form. Three men who played an active role in the development of Fairmont, Marion County, and the state: James Edwin Watson, Sylvanus Lamb Watson and A.B. Fleming, the eighth governor of West Virginia, are among those buried here.
West Virginia Reenactors Association
The West Virginia Reenactors Association is dedicated to the commemoration and preservations of West Virginia's rich Civil war heritage, and to encouraging the popular hobby of Civil War Reenacting within our State. Members of the WVRA portray the appearance and manners of typical citizens and soldiers of Western Virginia, both Union and Confederate, during the crucial period from 1861 to 1865.
New Mystics Players
New Mystics Arts, Inc. (NMA), through the Center for Arts and Education, provides a space for learning, artistic expression, and personal growth. Community members of all ages can discover and embrace the arts in all their many forms. NMA offers a gathering place for artists, writers, performers, health practitioners, and other professionals to share ideas, network, and collaborate.
Marion County Library
Members of the Woman's Christian Temperance Unions established Fairmont's first free library in 1892. By 1893, the women purchased a lot at the corner of Fairmont Avenue and First Street for $900.
In 1942, the opening of a new Federal Building allowed for the purchase of the old post office for use as the Marion County Public Library. It is situated on the corner of Monroe and Meredith Streets and is the main Library for the county system. The building was originally built for use by the United States Postal Service. It was designed by Joseph Knox Taylor of White Plains, New York. Construction started in late 1913 and was completed in June of 1914. The Neo-Classical style building with Roman arched windows is listed on the National Historic Registry as a Contributing Structure in the Fairmont Downtown Historic District. The 1942 conversion of the building to library use was followed by a renovation in 1953. The Junior League of Fairmont, Friends of the Library, as well as community businesses and organizations contributed to many major changes in the building. A 1991 fire resulted in significant damage to the bottom floor of the library requiring extensive renovation.
The Library also houses the Marion County Genealogy Room.
Marion County Landmarks Commissions
Coming Soon ...
Coming Soon ...
The Frank and Jane Gabor West Virginia Folklife Center at Fairmont State University is dedicated to the identification, preservation, and perpetuation of our region's rich cultural heritage, through academic studies, educational programs, festivals and performances, and publications. The WV Folklife Center is part of the College of Liberal Arts.