The Civil War Trails program has installed more than 1,000 interpretive markers at Civil War sites in Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, West Virginia and North Carolina.
Jump to the civilwartraveler.com's Virginia, Maryland, Tennessee, West Virginia and North Carolina webpages for a complete listing of Trails sites. You can also pick up printed Trails information at visitor centers in those states or fill out our Request Information Form to receive most of the Trails information by mail. You also may want to download pdf versions of the Trails maps from CivilWarTraveler.com/maps.
The following are the six Civil War Trail Markers located in Marion County, West Virginia:
Francis Harrison Pierpont outlined the plan to restore loyal western Virginia counties to the Union and give life to the state of West Virginia here. The books from his library were burned in the street during the 1863 Raid.
Pierpont and his wife, Julia, and three of their four children are buried here. The Trails sign here describes the couple’s activities during and after the war.
Trails sign describes the scene as Confederate Gen. Jones sent two columns of men through Fairmont. Part of the raiding party attacked a suspension bridge here then headed for the nearby B&O Railroad bridge. The railroad bridge was destroyed, but quickly repaired.
Detachments from several Union units stationed in Fairmont attempted to prevent Confederate raiders from crossing the suspension bridge over the Monongahela River but were ultimately overcome.
This was home to Aretas Brooks Fleming, the eighth governor of West Virginia. Fleming, who was then prosecuting attorney, was with the Home Guard across the river guarding the suspension bridge. Fleming was promoted to captain in the militia for his service during the raid.
Trails sign at 100 Kirk St, Fairmont WV 26505
The main column of Confederate Gen. William Jones rode by here April 29, 1863 en route to attacking the B&O Railroad bridge, part of the objective of the 1863 Jones-Imboden Raid. This is the northern end of the Beverly-Fairmont Turnpike, a gravel road completed in 1852.